Sunday, May 23, 2010

Caregiver Guilt About Not Being There

This is another exerpt taken from So Far Away - National Institute on Aging (January, 2006)


We do not remember days, we remember moments.

Cesare Pavese


"Most caregivers report feeling guilty about almost everything--about not being closer, not doing enough, not having enough time. Worrying about being able to afford to take time off from work or the cost of travel can increase frustration.

As one cargiver noted, When I wa reowing up, my mother and I weren't very close. As an adukt, I ended up across the country. When Mom got sick, my sister took on most of the caregiving. Because I'm hours away, I couldn't be at Mom's bedside regularly but I did call her more often. I worked it out with my sister so I took care of handling Mom's monthly bills. I did visit several times and always encouraged my sister to take a break from caregiving while I was there. ow that Mom's gone, I'm dealing with the estate, closing out accounts, and deciding what to do with the house. We all do what we can.

Sincerely,

Sandra - Caregiver Guru for the Caregiver Generation


No comments:

Post a Comment